How to clean your desk
Have you been busily working away at your desk with a cold? Got a spreadsheet to complete, so you eat your lunch at your desk? Your work area isn't looking as clean and tidy as it could? Time for a spruce up?
Here is a step by step guide on how to clean your desk. We recommend your cleaning should take place at the beginning or end of the day. Products you will need are as follows:
- Telephone Sanitiser
- Anti-Static Screen and Computer Wipes
- Jangro Foam Cleaner
- Virucidal Cleaner/Bactericidal Cleaner
- Microtex Microfibre Cleaning Cloths
- Household Rubber Gloves
Cleaning Your Phone
- Unplug the phone (do this in a quiet period, plus you don't want to be calling anyone while cleaning)
- Spray the Telephone Sanitiser onto a microfibre cloth.
- Wipe the telephone body down, paying particular attention to the keypad.
- Reapply Sanitiser if necessary, and then wipe the handset down, pay attention to the mouthpiece as that is where droplets from your mouth can accumulate.
- Allow time for drying.
- Plug phone back in
Cleaning Your Computer
- Keep computer off, or turn off to allow to cool, especially the monitor.
- Unplug the keyboard and mouse.
- Placing paper underneath the keyboard, turn it over and give it a light shake, all crumbs and dirt will collect on the sheet for you to put in the bin.
- Using the Wipes, wipe over the keyboard and mouse.
- Give your screen a quick, light wipe with a dry microfibre cloth, to remove dirt and prevent scratching.
- Use a clean wipe to clean your screen, working from the centre of the screen outwards, take care and do not press too hard. Finally wiping the screen edges and stand. Be careful around wires.
- Desktop, give a quick, light wipe. Remove dust from fan ventilation grid to help remove allergens and improve the health of your computer.
- Plug the mouse and keyboard back into your PC and dispose of wipes.
- Now you are ready to use your computer again.
Cleaning your desk
- Spray the foam cleanser across the desk surface.
- Allow the foam to disperse then wipe your work surface area with a microfibre cloth.
- Allow time to dry.
- Once dry, you might want to follow up with a virucidal or bactericidal cleaner. Spray onto surface, leave for a minimum of 30 seconds (5mins if there has been a Norovirus outbreak) then wipe with a clean damp cloth and allow time for drying.
Best practices to keep your desk clean
- Operate a clean desk policy once a day get rid of unnecessary paperwork, rubbish and take cups, plates to the kitchen for cleaning.
- If you have a cold, always keep tissues on your desk and use the 'Catch It, Bin It, Kill It' approach. There is no more effective way than washing your hands of preventing the spread of germs, however, this isn't always an option, therefore use a hand rub gel.
- Where possible, try not to eat at your desk.
Now that you know how to keep your desk clean, you will soon be the envy of your office. For any more information or general advice give us a call on 0333 003 2244.